Green living encompasses all areas of life. And sustainable travel is one of the challenges many who want to do right by the environment have to deal with at some point. Whether you are a frequent traveler or someone thinking of starting out on your own travel adventures, here are some of the environmentally friendly ways to travel that you can do to help ease the strain on the planet.
1. Pick your destination well. If you are like most people, you probably have a dream destination. And that place may be somewhere on the other side of the world. But if it is not your dream trip you are planning for, you may want to consider finding a destination much closer to home. You might be surprised with how many places worth exploring you will find without hopping on a plane.
2. Choose the most eco-friendly way to travel. Explore the transportation options available. Choose overland travel, if possible. You can either drive or ride the bus or travel by train to get there. If flying is the best option, look for the greenest airlines and aircrafts you can find.
3. Opt for green transport for getting around. Use public transportation, bike, or walk to get around. You can also explore other options like ridesharing. If you have to rent a car, go for environmentally friendly and fuel-efficient vehicles.
4. Stay in a sustainable accommodation. A growing number of accommodation booking sites provide information and lists of eco-friendly places to stay from around the world. The use of solar energy, sustainable water and waste treatment system, and other environmentally friendly services are among the things to consider when selecting an accommodation.
5. Choose sustainable tour operators. Choose local tour operators that focus on sustainable travel. Support local eco-tourism programs. Sign up for tours with eco-conscious travel companies that understand the impact of tours on communities and the environment.
6. Respect the environment. Be a responsible traveler by doing whatever you can to minimize your impact. Follow the leave no trace principle. Bring whatever little trash you may have with you instead of throwing it away on paths and trails. Stick to designated trails when going for a walk or a hike. Watch the wildlife from a distance. Visit reputable animal sanctuaries and avoid taking part in practices that are potentially harmful to the animals.